I created a free addon script for After Effects that allows parenting puppet pins – it creates control Nulls for all Puppet Tool pins of the selected layer. Nulls are created in correct positions. Nulls will have the name of the pins with an optional prefix added. Layer name can also be added after prefix. Puppet tool pins are parented to the nulls with expressions. You can also specify the scaling of the nulls to suit your needs.
tip: if you have not named your pins and the “Prefix layer name” is on, default puppet names “Puppet Pin 1..x” will be replaced with “LayerName_Pin_1..x” to have nicer names
!! Update for AE 2018 !!
How to use:
1. Download the puppet_rig_v03 and save it in the After Effects / Support Files / Scripts / ScriptUI Panels
2. Start the After Effects and search for puppet_rig in the bottom of Window menu
3. Select a layer with Puppet Pin effect on it.
4. Click Create button
5. Optional. Organize newly created nulls in hierarchy by parenting.
6. Animate nulls
7. Compulsory. Go and drink a beer. You have saved yourself a lot of time!